Saturday, April 19, 2014

Life Coaching... My understanding of it.

     Recently I have been seeing a few people claim to  be life coaches, and a couple of them were giving me a less than positive feeling.  So I  decided to  do  a little research and present my views on this rapid growth industry.  What is a "Life Coach" in the first place. A Life Coach is a person that is paid to  provide positive re-enforcement and structure to  help  a client react his/her goals. This is not just  motivation speaking in general. The life coach is to  develop a plan to meet the unique needs of the client. They usually give the client a weekly session  of an hour to  listen to  the clients current status and then give encouragement and instructions.

     So  a life coach  needs to  be a good listener, take plenty of notes, organizer, be an excellent communicator, understand sociology and psychiatry.  You  should have a friendly disposition and be able to  separate your personal life from the needs of the client. Patience  would be a requirement as well  when dealing with  people that  have little if no  will power to  motivate themselves.

     As I  stated earlier this is a growing business, there has been reports of over 1 Billion dollars spent last year in this and closely related fields. Many  institutes are available to  teach  you the basics of being a life coach. With little time and effort you can be a certified Life Coach.  In fact you can  be a Life Coach today if you wanted to. Being a Life Coach is a non regulated profession in the United States. It  falls into  the field of Psychics and tarot readers. You  are only as good as the way  that  you present yourself and sell  yourself.

     Doctors have to  pass a series of tests to  be a licensed and practice medicine in the US. Lawyer's have to pass the Bar exam. Many  professions require a college degree in  the field of employment. And some professions just need you to  have an advanced education to  do  the work  that  you seek.  A good doctor has spent 8 years in college before he is allowed to  perform serious medical  procedures

     You  can go online an find many  'institutes"  that  are willing to  teach  you how to  be a Life coach and other holistic style professions. I  checked out the Spencer institute and I  was in shock  about what I  found.  They have  several of these 'new age' profession set-ups. I  saw prices from $150.oo to  $197.oo for this training. And you are thinking that  wow  that is cheap, upon reading more about this class offering, you  will  find out why.  They  say  how long it should take to  finish  this training package.  They  said the average person can finish it in 40 hours.  That  means that  I  can in one week devote 8  hours a day to learning this and finish the course.  I  then take a test and earn my certification that is valid for 2 years. Then I  would have to  go  back  and get further training and recertification.

     But I know what  you are thinking... they  are an accredited  institute.  Yes they  are accredited by  the American Association of drugfree  Practioners.. or AADP. this group was formed in 1990, making it only 24 years old.  It is also listed as a fake accrediting agency.  http://www.geteducated.com  Because this is an unregulated industry, I  can get a couple of friends together and create an accrediting agency and then give accreditation to an institute that  I  built myself.  And while it would be a very unethical thing to  do, it would be legal.  Thus in a couple of months I  can create the institute and accrediting agency and sell various holistic classes to  others.  And isn't that  a quite scary concept.

     I have seen this happen recently. And I  am very  upset about it. I know many  pagan ladies that  will  be upset with  this. Flora Petersen has a class that  she is currently selling for  people to  be "Certified Professional Psychics".
 
Flora Peterson has called herself a Life Coach.   I  wonder what  special  training she gives people.  Here is the link  for you to  check it out yourself. FloraSage Therapies Institute But the numbers speak  for themselves 18+ hours of training on prerecorded formats. As I  read it the only one on one time you get with her is the certification process. In which  you will  read the tarot cards for her.  And anyone can give a general  interpretation of the cards and can't be called wrong. That is what  make Tarot card reading awesome there is really no  right or wrong answers, it is about making a vague result to  satisfy the client. This is no  Legal Bar Exam.  But look  at  the highlighted  part of this next image. 
 
"  At the institute Flora teaches Psychic Development courses and personally trains and certifies Spiritual Empowerment Coaches as well as a host of other programs and classes for people from all walks of life."  And what is the name of this Institute called ... "FloraSage Therapies Institute".  And you were probably calling me nuts when I  mentioned I  could create my own institute and accrediting agency, and that it  would be legal.
 
    I already  give people advice and help others through life's troubles.  Recently at work,  I  offered my services to  a lady  that is a lesbian. I  told her  that if she couldn't find a minister to  get married because they  were objecting to it, that I  would perform her marriage ceremony.  I  am an Ordained minister. I  love helping people that  are new to  paganism,  showing them some of the things I  have learned over the years.  I  give advice to  the young men that  I  work  with about how to  live a better life and avoid the pain that  comes through opening new doors of life.  I have read many  books about relationships and social issues.  I  am just not getting paid for  any of it.  Well  that is about to  change, today I  am becoming a Life Coach....
     OK, I  am only joking about becoming a life coach.  I am happy to  help others without the money. You  have to  ask  yourself do  you  really need someone telling you to  live your life. And there has to  be a degree of self-centeredness to  be a life coach. You  think  that  your life is so  great that  others will  pay  you to  place your ethics into  their life.  We are all unique and our needs and desires are also  quite unique.  We have to  find our own way  and learn from our mistakes.  If you must have someone hold your hand, are you learning everything that  you  need to?

     As I  was saying earlier, life coaches don't have any  required training and with  certification being just a fancy  piece of paper, could you allow someone without proper training give you mental assessments?  If they are fully trained psychiatric medical  personal, why  are they not working in the regulated medical industry?  There are probably some wonderful  people out there that  can help out a great number of people, however you are gambling that  the person you pick is worthy  of your trust and money.  If you  got  the money to waste , just grab Joe Schmoo  off the streets and get his advice,
that is the risk that  you would be taking.


No comments:

Post a Comment